Saturday, March 17, 2007

HANGER BANGER

It is me again, another ride = another blog.. For this time it was a relatively short ride, as you can tell from the title of the blog, thought it was a short ride... But it was filled with many many unforgettable events. Well... for this Saturday morning ride... It was just 3 of us ; myself, CS and Kiwi, he is a newbie. Since Keat was not riding with us, so KW had a spare bike to ride..

The morning started as usual lor.. But unlike other mornings, once we reach the parking in FRIM and getting suit up, we realised that the dark clouds were closing in fast. Not really promising start to our ride. We were pretty confidence that it wouldn't rain, cause we had our mind set on riding the Dream Trail !

Off we went on our way to ride the Dream Trail.. Once at the start of the trail, it was obvious that we are not gonna get much natural light on this ride. But nevertheless, the faint light didn't dampen our spirit to ride that morning. Visibility was rather low, but then still can see where we were going. More importantly it was raining... yet ! I went on first, which was a bad idea... My legs were tired.. This pass weeks, haven't been getting enough sleep.. So physically I'm very tired still. Mind willing but body (legs actually) failing.. Doesn't matter...

Thanks to warning from Kelolo, I was going rather slow, was looking out for the deadfall right across the Dream Trail. In fact, there were 2 or 3 deadfall along the trail. But nothing as serious as the deadfall at the switchback section of the Dream Trail.. To those going through that section, be careful.. The shortcut around the deadfall, the soil / ground is still rather soft.

FRIM Dream Trail ; 17 March 2007
~Happy smiles on his 1st ride~

FRIM Dream Trail ; 17 March 2007
~Famous landmark within the Dream Trail~

Coming out of the Dream Trail, joining back to Rover Trail.. This time we went upwards, so to speak, to complete off the Rover Trail, instead of going back reverse. Did I mentioned that the new guy, Kiwi was fast ! Really fast... he was able to tail behind CS almost all the way.. Really good man this fella. Think pretty soon he'll be riding a bike of his own liow.

Upto so far the ride has been pretty smooth.. I personally have been pushing myself to ride faster. Though stopping a few times, towards the end of Rover, waiting to be sure that Kiwi could catch up. That time, CS was long gone liow.. Anyhow ended at Rover, decided not to go through with Bukit Hari trail, since it was going to rain liow..

Made our way, and enter the 501 Trail.. Sigh... So I let CS and KW go down 1st. Since I'm always playing the sweeper part.. And since Kiwi is quite fast for a newbie. So why not lar rite..

~> I'm currently blogging from Tanjung Bin Power Plant, Control Room. Accessing the internet via GPRS on my SE K800i. Hehehee... Have to get this blog completed mar...


Making our way through the 501 Trail.. I let both of them bomb down 1st, followed from behind with some distance. Safety distance, just in case Kiwi did any emergency brake, I would have some buffer distance to stop. But apparently, I was going fast enough to catch up with Kiwi. So I thought what the hell lar, just overtake him.. Which proved to be the wrong decision...

I was to overtake him on the left side, where the trail is more "dirty". There were dead dried branches on the left side. I thought I could just ride through it.. I was so wrong ! Moving out to the left, with the cracking of the branches.. suddenly, my bike came to a sudden halt ! I almost flew forward, off my bike. But thankfully I was able to grab hold of my handlebar and my weight was already partially to the rear. Quite the frighten at first.. Now looking down at my rear wheel, saw that there was a branch stucked up in between the cassette and the hub. Removed it and then I knew something was wrong liow.. My 1st thought was that my RD was damaged, or bent somehow.. Couldn't do any gear shifting..

Slowly I reached out of the 501 and reached the tarmac.. There I tried to shift gear.. Forcefully I pedal and SNAPPED !! There goes my hanger ! CS saw the whole thing happened.. Hehehehe... So what to do, push the bike from there on lor.. Thought this mishap happened, but somehow I was quite satisfied with that day's ride. Somewhat I feel like I'm improving in my downhill speed. It was just the beginning of my Good and Bad day...

FRIM Dream Trail ; 17 March 2007
~Hanger Banger~

FRIM Dream Trail ; 17 March 2007
~Closer view~

FRIM Dream Trail ; 17 March 2007
~This is how you hold it together~

After our well deserved wan thanh minn... Once there only I realised that I got a leech bite. The fella already sucked my blood until full liow. All that is left behind is the scar and a stream of blood from it. We headed our way to BikePro, Tmn Megah. Hoping that Boon Foo would have the hanger replacement... Sigh... Don't HAVE ! But Lim (bike mech) offerred me his spare hanger.. All is not lost I guess. Thankfully Jin Herng was in Penang at that time, so a quick call to him... And he was on his way to KT Cycletron, to get me my hanger. Ended buying 2 hanger, 1 to keep as spare..

FRIM Dream Trail ; 17 March 2007
~Blood suck-ed !~

Then hor... CS managed to spot a SRAM cassette, PG 990.. Hehehe.. There the one with the RED colored center. Something that I wanted, just cause it is RED color.. So that day, I left BikePro, RM250 poorer, got myself the PG990 and a CN-7701 (XTR) chain. Go do the maths.. Keeping those 2 upgrades for later. Cause currently my crank's bearing also giving problem, could be busted liow.. Hopefully some minor service will set it back in place. In the meantime, wait till I have the budget for a new set of crank. Probably looking at getting the XT crank, so change the cassette and chain together. But this will come much much later... Unless anyone wanna contribute to my New XT Crank fund ??? Didn't think so....

SRAM PG990XTR chain

That was pretty much the end of it.. Left my Tank Fobia in Bike Pro, Keat went on Wednesday to pass the hanger. Thank God ! The hanger fits ! The bike will only be ready to be collected on Friday. Which was fine ler, since this weekend also not gonna be riding. Have got stuffs to settle on both weekend mornings. In the evening ? Might go for photographing outing.. CS and myself are proud owners of our respective digital cameras.. So don't be surprised if you see some non-MTB photos here on our blog..

I guess that is all from me... Don't really have the flow for this blog. But anyhow, thank you for reading it until here. Was having a writer's block, probably from all the stress from work..


~::NK the wOOfer::~

No comments: