Sunday, April 04, 2010

Weekend in Miri

Where do I start ?? I was sent to Brunei actually for work, site visit for an upcoming tender. Landed in Brunei on Tuesday evening and then it was work work work for the next 2 days. As was duely warned Bandar is pretty much a quiet town. And it truly lived up to it's expectation. So pretty much isn't anything to talk about ya...

Well since I was in Brunei, decided to make a trip to Miri. Thankfully a dear friend Yoke is working there and it coincide with the long Good Friday and Easter, so the perfect long weekend holiday.

Before we left Brunei, first was Japanese dinner. Note that I'm not actually much of a Jap food lover. But still seafood being fresh there, so why not la. Plus the pic that Kok Jeong took of the sashimi there. So it is a must try...




Excapde sushi... We sat at the err... Counter with the literally train sushi. Yeah woii.. I was so fasinated with toy train carrying the sushi dishes. Unlike the converyor belt that we have here in Malaysia.







Then came our salmon sashimi... Like wow, checkout those chunky cuts.




As I said I am not a jap food lover but damn those salmon sashimi was good ! Fresh like hot buns out from the oven. So good that we had 2 servings of those. Of course there were other food as well... We were stuffed. All ready for the remaining drive to Miri.

The next 3 nights and 3 days was truly a good experience. Food was great... Of course all different kind of food. Nasi lalapan was truly an experience, sambal belacan with ulam, white rice and I chose ikan tengiri. Of course gotto eat with hands le and darn the smell of the belacan lingers on the finger for, well... 2 days. There were many other food of course... All well planned out by Yoke. Thanks man...

It has truly been a long while since I went out partying like totally all out. All 3 nites in Miri was totally for partying. With work and not much of kaki to go. Mostly just too tired out from work. Being away gives all the right reason to party !

First nite was totally smashing... Quite a big group of guys. Not even sure who is who. As much as I wanted to control my alcohol intake, but just layan lor. First shit was ok. Second also still steady... Third was double shots in one. Which killed me la. Embarassing puke like twice. Then started to be woozzy and sleepy. No letting it take over I forced myself to the dance floor and do what I thought was dancing. Layan la the live band was kind ok and the DJ mix was pumping. Even some head banging with the band. And was easily remembered for my hairband. Still I was totally stoned on the first nite, could barely survived through the supper session. But it was ok, the guys all talking so much crap. Good laughs...

Best was on the last nite... The next change band was playing 1 set as a preview. So last nite I managed to catch 2 bands playing back to back. And the place (Cheerie Berries) was packed ! Which is a good thing... cuci mata. And stand there look pretty. Shy mar me... Hahahaha ! I should probably learn to mix around, apparently ppl in Miri are much more friendlier. But it was alrite I guess... Nothing gain nothing lost.






Damn regret I didn't bring my camera gears to Miri. Would have gotten loads of contacts and totally amazing pic for sure. Plus it is a good tool to break the ice. Being the band's last performance. Possibly just possibly could have gotten some photo shoots opportunity.

Speaking of which....... Went up to Canada Hill, historically the first oil rig in Miri. A beautiful sunset... Without my camera. So this is what I managed to capture.



Just imagine this to be a great place for a strobist model photo shoot. But need to find the model la. Next trip for sure... Please let there be more work trips to Brunei.

Another great view to end my trip... Yoke brought lunch at Piasau Boat Club - hope I got the name right. Dine with the straight view of the beach and the rustling sea breeze...



I truly leave Miri with a heavy heart. Such a laid back place and yet with so many things happening at the same time. Endless thanks to Yoke for hosting me the whole weekend and new found friend, Julian. I'll surely be back and party it out all night...

No comments: